[Note: Personnel placement agencies are asked not to solicit the entities placing these employment advertisements on this website.]
Posted: November 5, 2019
Position: Legal Secretary
Weinberg, Roger & Rosenfeld is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable legal secretary who
is highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, professional, reliable and able to efficiently
multi-task a very busy desk. Prioritizing is a must.
- 7 – 10 years legal secretary experience.
- Excellent word processing skills, including ability to generate TOC and TOA.
- High level of expertise with Word, Excel, Legal Solutions, Outlook.
- Familiarity with state and federal court rules.
- Experience with e-filing in both state and federal courts.
- Proven experience in supporting at least 3 attorneys efficiently.
Essential functions are primarily job duties that the employee must be able to perform
unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
Responsible for all aspects of processing secretarial work generated in connection with services
provided for our clients, including, but not limited to:
- Utilizes a computer and/or typewriter to type correspondence, memoranda, reports and
- Preparation and processing of pleadings from both written and dictated sources and
timely filing, paper and/or electronic, such pleadings with the appropriate court or
administrative agency, in accordance with each court or agency’s rules.
- Operates standard office equipment, including computer, copier, typewriter, digital
transcription, transcription machine, facsimile, telephone and velobinding equipment.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and navigating various court and other websites.
Interacts responsibly and competently with clients, co-counsel and others to secure
information and transmit inquiries to legal counsel, by e-mail, regular mail or telephone.
- May be requested to screen calls and record messages.
- Route outgoing mail to specific delivery service for timely delivery.
- Utilizes master calendar and docket systems to obtain information.
- Establish and maintain deadline reminder systems in order to prioritize individual workloads and
utilize master calendar and docket systems to obtain information on deadline
- Prepares ‘Blue Sheet’ for new file opening with information provided by attorney.
- Maintains client files in accordance with established procedures or upon instruction by
attorney’s preference, including indexing and filing documents appropriately.
- May be required to make calls to court, clients, co-counsel, opposing counsel and
arbitrators setting calendar/arbitrations as needed. All legal secretaries asked to
schedule or calendar arbitrations will be provided training on the procedure. If
- Management wants a specific secretary to schedule and/or calendar arbitration, clear
instructions of the assignment will be provided.
- May be required to provide ‘incidental’ training for the same or other classifications.
- Consistent with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Make complex travel arrangements.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to read and write in order to perform routine office correspondence, including
independently writing correspondence at attorney’s direction.
- Ability to proofread and perform standard editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling).
- Ability to perform arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and
- Approximately three years litigation secretary experience to perform the administrative
duties in a professional services setting.
- Knowledge and ability to research state and federal court rules.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time
- Complete knowledge of e-mail and correspondence protocols in order to compose
letters and e-mails to clients, counsel, courts and others.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions provided
either in person, by e-mail, regular mail, or telephone effectively from a diverse group of
attorneys and staff and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Work requires a high level of mental effort and strain when performing a high volume of
clerical tasks and performing other essential duties.
- Ability to efficiently operate standard office equipment including computer, copier,
typewriter, transcription machine, facsimile, telephone systems, digital transcription
and scanners for portable digital files (pdf).
- Ability to learn and effectively use specialized software necessary for the execution and
completion of essential functions with appropriate training.
- Ability to push and pull packages, books weighing up to 20 pounds and ability to retrieve
and replace objects from shelves up to 8 ft. high.
- Perform administrative and other duties consistent with the position as requested.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the
performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential
functions, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to: Jennifer Calhoun at: JCalhoun@unioncounsel.net.
Posted: November 5, 2019
Foran Glennon Palandech Ponzi & Rudloff PC is a fast-paced insurance defense and subrogation litigation law firm with an immediate opening for a Legal Secretary in our Emeryville location who has at least 5 years of litigation experience.
Major responsibilities include litigation support for court filings, preparation of pleadings, discovery, document production, exhibits, subpoenas, and correspondence.
Additional responsibilities include calendar maintenance, case file organization, submission of attorney expenses, deposition scheduling, and routine clerical duties such as copying, faxing, and mailing.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Legal Secretary, preferably in insurance defense litigation, supporting 3-4 attorneys
- Knowledge of filing procedures in State and Federal Court (including e-filing)
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Compulaw
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment to meet strict deadlines
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and have excellent organizational skills
- Qualified candidates must be dependable team players capable of working with minimal supervision
HOW TO APPLY
Please e-mail your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted October 10, 2019
CONSTRUCTION &PUBLIC CONTRACTING LEGAL ASSISTANT
City and County of San Francisco, City Attorney’s Office
The San Francisco City Attorney’s Office has an opportunity for a legal assistant to join the Construction and Public Contracting Team. The Construction and Public Contracting team handles both advice and litigation matters. The current needs of this team heavily favor the litigation side of this practice, however, you will also be required to assist on the advice side. This position requires excellent verbal and writing skills, and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively across multiple legal teams. The candidate is expected to have the ability to analyze legal problems, and perform detailed analytical work with accuracy and initiative. The candidate will be a self-starter who is able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, accept written and oral instructions, and communicate effectively and tactfully with attorneys, office personnel, court personnel, vendors, representatives of other governmental departments/entities, and the general public. The responsibilities listed below are representative of the range of duties assigned and are not intended as an exhaustive list.
• Implement document litigation holds across various City departments.
• Review and proof contracts, legislation, responsive pleadings, various discovery documents, subpoenas, legal memoranda and correspondence for accuracy.
• Assist with discovery, particularly electronic discovery including the review and production of documents obtained from litigants and City departments maintained in IPRO Eclipse; prepare privilege logs.
• Conduct database searches in IPRO Eclipse, Concordance, CaseMap and Text Map, and review documents within these programs for relevance, responsiveness and privilege.
• Assist in preparing various motions and ensuring that filings are accurate, properly formatted and filed in a timely manner, including filing electronically.
• Organize and prepare documents, exhibits, and other materials for discovery, hearings, and trials.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize work assignments from multiple attorneys.
• Draft and issue subpoenas.
• Maintain calendars for multiple attorneys.
• Assist with review and disclosure of documents requested under public records laws.
• Assist with other projects and duties as assigned.
• Paralegal certificate from an ABA-approved program, or other significant work experience that satisfies the statutory requirements of Business & Professions Code Section 6450.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Minimum 1 – 2 years of litigation experience as a legal assistant or paralegal or 5+ years as a legal secretary providing proof of performing high level duties as described under Responsibilities section above.
• Working knowledge of legal procedures, legal terminology, and court rules.
• Adept in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Experience with Adobe Professional, TextMap, Concordance, Eclipse, CaseMap, and Trial Director, or other similar software.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Colleen Dietterle, Manager of Legal Support and Administrative Services, at: email@example.com