[Note: Personnel placement agencies are asked not to solicit the entities placing these employment advertisements on this website.]
Posted October 10, 2019
CONSTRUCTION &PUBLIC CONTRACTING LEGAL ASSISTANT
City and County of San Francisco, City Attorney’s Office
The San Francisco City Attorney’s Office has an opportunity for a legal assistant to join the Construction and Public Contracting Team. The Construction and Public Contracting team handles both advice and litigation matters. The current needs of this team heavily favor the litigation side of this practice, however, you will also be required to assist on the advice side. This position requires excellent verbal and writing skills, and an ability to work both independently and collaboratively across multiple legal teams. The candidate is expected to have the ability to analyze legal problems, and perform detailed analytical work with accuracy and initiative. The candidate will be a self-starter who is able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, accept written and oral instructions, and communicate effectively and tactfully with attorneys, office personnel, court personnel, vendors, representatives of other governmental departments/entities, and the general public. The responsibilities listed below are representative of the range of duties assigned and are not intended as an exhaustive list.
• Implement document litigation holds across various City departments.
• Review and proof contracts, legislation, responsive pleadings, various discovery documents, subpoenas, legal memoranda and correspondence for accuracy.
• Assist with discovery, particularly electronic discovery including the review and production of documents obtained from litigants and City departments maintained in IPRO Eclipse; prepare privilege logs.
• Conduct database searches in IPRO Eclipse, Concordance, CaseMap and Text Map, and review documents within these programs for relevance, responsiveness and privilege.
• Assist in preparing various motions and ensuring that filings are accurate, properly formatted and filed in a timely manner, including filing electronically.
• Organize and prepare documents, exhibits, and other materials for discovery, hearings, and trials.
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize work assignments from multiple attorneys.
• Draft and issue subpoenas.
• Maintain calendars for multiple attorneys.
• Assist with review and disclosure of documents requested under public records laws.
• Assist with other projects and duties as assigned.
• Paralegal certificate from an ABA-approved program, or other significant work experience that satisfies the statutory requirements of Business & Professions Code Section 6450.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Minimum 1 – 2 years of litigation experience as a legal assistant or paralegal or 5+ years as a legal secretary providing proof of performing high level duties as described under Responsibilities section above.
• Working knowledge of legal procedures, legal terminology, and court rules.
• Adept in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Experience with Adobe Professional, TextMap, Concordance, Eclipse, CaseMap, and Trial Director, or other similar software.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Colleen Dietterle, Manager of Legal Support and Administrative Services, at: email@example.com
Posted September 20, 2019
Legal Administrative Assistant – Litigation
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP, San Francisco
Summary: Provide clerical, word processing and administrative support to attorneys, paralegals and other legal staff.
- Maintain good communication with clients, attorneys and staff.
- Create, edit and proofread legal documents.
- Set up and maintain files and records.
- Execute LEXIS and Bloomberg searches.
- Type and assemble, in final form, legal pleadings for filing in all state and federal courts including proofreading and editing documents for accuracy, entering data into databases and ensuring that litigation deadlines are met.
- Type letters, memos, labels, envelopes, work reports, bills, travel expense reports and other reports and forms as required and proof for accuracy.
- Interpret local court rules for requisite format and number of duplications of pleadings.
- Check legal citations, oversees the production of legal documents and distributes documents to the appropriate court and in-house personnel.
- Prepare client billing.
- Input time entry.
- Make travel and meeting arrangements.
- Make, screen and route telephone calls, place conference calls, schedule appointments, reserve conference rooms and order lunch when requested.
- Greet clients and visitors and escort them to the proper office/conference room.
- Maintain standardized list of attorneys’ matters including Client/Matter numbers and descriptions, function codes, etc.
- Create and maintain legal files and indices.
- Date stamp, fax, scan and copy documents.
- Assist attorneys with client outreach and business development needs when requested.
- Update CCH books.
- Maintain and update calendar in Outlook, including court appearances.
- Maintain and update contracts in Interaction and Outlook.
- Assist with “overflow” work as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Knowledge of general office procedure and practice.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities within the firm.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to type 65 wpm.
- Ability to sit at a desk most of the working day and walk short distances.
- Needs manual dexterity, speed and accuracy in handling office equipment.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately in an atmosphere of frequent interruption.
- Ability to work in close proximity to other individuals.
- Ability to carry light objects, e.g., files, small objects and supplies a short distance.
Please submit cover letter and resume along with references and salary requirement: Allison Gouker, HR Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let the hiring manager know.
Posted: September 18, 2019
Fagen Friedman & Fulfrost LLP, California’s leading education law firm, seeks an experienced litigation legal secretary to join a collegial team of results-oriented practitioners in our Oakland Office.
The Litigation Legal Secretary will provide legal and administrative support to multiple attorneys. This essential, highly responsible and accountable position requires the individual to work independently, anticipate needs, be proactive, maintain confidentiality, and demonstrate professionalism. The successful candidate must deliver excellent work and superior service to the Firm and the Firm’s clients. The candidate must also possess strong organizational and time management skills, communicate effectively and be flexible as demands and priorities change.
REQUIRED duties and experience include:
- Document production and file management
- Extensive experience with e-filing in administrative, state and federal courts
- Draft, proofread and edit correspondence
- Client interaction/communication with clients, courts, and attorneys
- Knowledge of court rules and civil procedures in State and Federal jurisdictions
- Legal calendaring via Compulaw and other electronic court rule programs
- Management of multiple calendars, appointments and travel arrangements
- Preparation of travel/expense reimbursements
High school diploma or GED; Associates/ Bachelor’s degree preferred
In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Coyote timekeeping and DMS (iManage) or similar software
3+ years of experience as a litigation secretary working with multiple attorneys; appellate work, transactional law and administrative hearing knowledge is a plus
Please send cover letter and resume to: Kyra Kopetsky at email@example.com.