You do not have to be a member of San Francisco Legal Professional Association (“SFLPA”) to come to our Member Meetings or enroll in any of our educational programs. But you do have to be employed or reside in San Francisco to join. As a member you will receive a variety of benefits including:
- Discounted rates for all SFLPA educational programs and events – in some cases, at no charge to our members only.
- Automatic membership to our parent-state organization, Legal Secretaries Incorporated (“LSI”) which offers webinars and legal section classes at discounted rates to its members.
- Free subscriptions to “The Legal Secretary” magazine published by LSI and our very own bulletin “The Hearsay.” – both containing interesting articles and informative topics relevant to the ever changing aspects of the legal profession.
There are two categories of SFLPA Membership: Active and Associate. When joining for the first time as well as for renewing membership for subsequent fiscal years, the following requirements apply by membership category:
- You are currently employed by or have at least one year experience, including temporary or freelance work, with a law firm, the legal department of a private company or government entity, a courthouse or other company that is legally entitled to provide legal advice and counseling to the public;
- Have attended at least one SFLPA function;
- Submit with your application dues in the amount of $65.00 for the first fiscal year of membership.
- You are a student enrolled in a legal trade school or currently attend college and are enrolled in legal classes; are temporarily between jobs in the legal profession; or are actively seeking employment in the legal field.
- Have attended at least one SFLPA function.
- Submit with your application dues in the amount of $45.00 per fiscal year.
All first year applicants are required to submit an Active or Associate application along with the corresponding membership dues before they can be recommended for accepted membership.
FISCAL YEAR: May 1 to April 30 – Dues for Active Membership applicants submitted between November and March of each year are pro rated to $45.00 per applicant. Renewals thereafter are reduced to $35 year amount of dues of either $65.00 or $35.00.
45.00 per fiscal year.
Renewal membership runs consecutively with the first fiscal year of accepted Membership and costs $55.00 per fiscal year thereafter for Active Membership and $25.00 for Associate Membership.
Memberships that lapse a full fiscal year after becoming a member in either category will be subject to resubmitting a new first year Active or Associate application for acceptance along with the full first fiscal Renewal membership forms must be accompanied by the appropriate amount of category dues of either $55.00 for Active membership or $25.00 for Associate Membership.