Last updated 4/5/2018
Greeting SFLPA Members and Friends,
We have sprung into March and we have been very busy which brings another meaning to the word madness. There’s lots to celebrate as we come to end of the 2017-2018 fiscal year. We had high expectations. Some of the events takes lots of planning especially when it comes to following the LSI Guidelines.
I would like to acknowledge our Board of Directors and the respective Committee members for an outstanding job. We successfully accomplished many events but more importantly, there were some significant projects that were either brought back from our past, done for the first time, or scheduled in the future that will require a tremendous effort in order to succeed. Here is a recap to those events:
- Our Membership Committee hosted our first-ever SFLPA Open House, which was a huge success. The focus was introducing our programs and services to potential new members.
- Day-in-Court hosted a Mock Trial with very special guest The Honorable Carlos Bea, Justice of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals who acted as the presiding judge.
- We upgraded our website which allows our members to do more things online such as register for events, process payments by credit card and will allow people to apply or renew their membership online.
- Brought back the multi-week Legal Secretarial/Professional Litigation Training Program as we had 50 attendees. We received very good feedback from our co-sponsor San Francisco State University and SFSU is inquiring about our next training seminar.
- Hosted our very first Crab Feed Fundraiser and entertained 60 attendees. It was fun, the food was fantastic and everyone left satisfied.
- And finally, successfully submitted our bid to host the 2019 November Quarterly Conference at the Hilton Financial District Hotel in San Francisco.
As you can see, this is our version of completing the March Madness Brackets because when we succeed, our members succeed. The evolution of longevity is trying new things and bringing back projects that mean the most to our legal community. Lastly, taking risks, expanding our reach so legal community knows that SFLPA lives up to its motto… “Excellence through Education.”
Changes will be coming in the New Year. I will not be seeking re-election. It’s time for me to step aside to allow others to continue the legacy of our Association. Our Election Meeting will take place on Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at Orrick Herrington. The slate of candidates who will be running for office has been distributed. If you are thinking about running for office, it’s not too late. Nominations will be taken from the floor. Those nominated must be present to accept. We hope you plan to attend this important election meeting.
The last month of our fiscal year is April 30, 2018. Membership renewals are due on May 1, 2018. As I previously stated, you now have the convenience to renew and pay online through our newly upgraded website.
Future events include:
- 82nd Annual Membership Election Meeting – Tuesday, March 20, 2018
- Brown Bag Presentation – Tuesday, March 27, 2018
- 82nd Officer Installation Gala – Saturday, April 21, 2018
- April Brown Bag Presentation – April 23, 2018
- 2018-2019 Fiscal Year Begins – May 1, 2018
- LSI Annual Conference – May 17-20, 2018 at the Beverly Garland Hotel in North Hollywood, CA
For more information or if you would to register for any of the above events, please visit www.SFLPA/events-calendar. For more information about upcoming Legal Secretaries, Inc. events, please visit their website at www.lsi.org.
Have a fantastic month and I hope to see you soon.
SFLPA President 2017-2018